Skip to main content

Dyson AM09 Fan & Heater H2 Error

No idea what the actual error is and I couldn't find anything useful on the web, so hopefully this will help someone else.
I assumed that the H2 error meant that something was dirty, clogged up or that it was overheating because it was dirty or clogged up because the error only showed up when it was in Heater mode.
The heater would run for about 30 seconds, then it would show the error and switch over to the high speed fan , I assume to try to blow out the dust.
I proceeded to open it up to give it a deep clean because the Dyson instructions for cleaning this thing are ridiculous and don't help at all. Gently wiping down the outside and vacuuming the intake holes....really Dyson, really?! I used cotton swabs and 91% alcohol to clean everything I could get to, starting at the base (in hindsight, this part may not be necessary at all). Then I got to the top of the device where the actual air comes out of and noticed that there was a lot of build up on the heater coils. I couldn't get to them without taking apart some vital wiring components, so I didn't want to fool with that.
Then I decided to leave it open and just blow it out with compressed air. Canned air may work (not sure how high the psi is on those) for you, but I used a small air compressor with the limit set to 80psi.

UPDATE: 11/17/2020 : after two years of use, the error showed up again. This time, I decided to use a different approach. An old trick my uncle taught me while working on electronics. Follow the instructions below, but instead of using canned air or an air compressor, just take it outside and gently spray out the inside with a water hose. Make sure it is not plugged in, use low water pressure and then let it sit outside in the sun all day to dry out (a fan can be used to speed up the process). Either way, just make sure it is completely dried up before plugging it back in. Total cleanup time is only a few minutes and dust doesn't go flying everywhere.

UPDATE: 02/04/2022 : some folks have reported that plugging their heater into a an outlet that is on a different circuit, maybe a dedicated one, could also help get rid of the error. And also avoiding power strips and extension cords.  I recommend trying this before going through the trouble of cleaning it, though the cleaning will help it function more efficiently. Personally mine was always plugged directly into the wall and worked fine for months until it got dirty. Either way, the H2 error seems to be linked to over/under on the power draw.

WARNING : This may void your warranty. Do this at your own risk, you assume full responsibility for following the below tips. 
Here is what to do:

1. Pry the plastic piece out that is covering up the one screw that holds the base to the top part.

2. Use a T9 bit to take the screw out (point A in the picture below)
After the screw is out, hold onto part B in the picture above with one hand and hold the base with the other hand. Twist until you feel it loosen up. Be very careful opening this part up since there are wires connecting the two pieces. Take your air nozzle and go to town on the inside portion, especially targeting the heater coils. Dust will fly everywhere so I recommend wearing something over your eyes.
Also point your air nozzle into the slits where the air comes out as illustrated by the green lines in the photo below.

Put it back together and test it out.




Comments

  1. That's a great tip thanks for sharing this i used canned air to blow out the dust and it seemed to have worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. after about two months it stopped working again and no matter how clean it is it will always show h2 after turning on for 1min. no longer able to use it as a heater.

      Delete
  2. I just turned-on my Dyson for the Fall and had the same H2 error. I did not take the unit apart. But I used a vacuum with a brush attachment and thoroughly cleaned both the bottom and slits. Then I used canned air. It works now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried the above cleaning, but still get the h2 error. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I BLASTED MINE WITH THE SHOP COMPRESSOR AND IT WORKED...PERHAPS HIGHER PRESSURE TO GET THE TRAPPED DUST OUT

      Delete
  4. this worked for me for about 2 days, then h2 came back. :( Dyson clearly design these to fail after warranty as they are guaranteed to get dirty inside without any way of really cleaning them... eventually resulting in an overheating and a h2 shutdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even couldn’t type the “ dyson name in! No matter what the heater just won’t work anymore! It purposely designed to fail and want you keeping to buy a new one! It sucks and never buy dyson again!

      Delete
    2. A simple blow out with a shop vac worked fine for me. Still working

      Delete
    3. I have 2 older models and have never had this issue! I always keep the intake clean as well as output area. Tired of dealing with the crap! Will never invest in theur products again!!!

      Delete
  5. Furnace died in the middle of the night and I bragged about how this heater would keep us warm while furnace was repaired. Damn H2 error popped up. But I followed your directions and now we are all good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the same problem. When i first made this purchase i checked it out and was worried about this issue.
    Then i though nooooooo Dyson products are good, nothing to worry about. BOY WAS I WRONG. I'm not taking this apart i just want it replaced!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder why Dotson has not had an outer filter for this device.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tip especially use of T9. Dyson won't give you that info even when repeatedly asked. Simple fix is external HEPA filter but they haven't designed it that way. Wonder why. Planned obsolescence? They seem more marketing driven than product driven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you're using this product from overseas, check you are using a proper voltage changer. It requires 2KA/2KW to properly run it without overloaded... I live in Korea and we use 220V so I bought a voltage changer(a machine box size of nintendo switch dock) and the error no longer shows up! Guess this H2 error is about overloaded machine part from the heat...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure where else to share this but: if blowing out the dust with compressed air doesn't work, and following up with blasts from a shop compressor don't work, you may need to go the nuclear route, as I did. Here are the steps:
    0) TAKE PHOTOS OF EVERYTHING AS YOU WORK. The cable routing is a bit finicky and getting things back together is non-obvious.
    1) Once you have the unit opened as above, you'll note a white junction box between the two halves. Unscrew the top screws to open the case and expose the wire connections. Disconnect all the wires in order to separate the two halves fully (there are tabs to push in order to disconnect).
    2) Once you have the upper half separated, remove the remaining screws holding the junction box and louver motor in place and remove the motor and the junction box.
    3) Press (hard) on the louver holes (not the moving door). You should feel the louver assembly flex a wee bit.
    4) This is the crap part. The front fascia/louver is GLUED ON. You will need a good spudger (I use the iFixit metal one) to work up from the bottom while pushing on the louver vent to break loose the glue. This takes a long time and can really mess up the fascia, so be patient. Eventually the fascia will detach and you can slide out the inner heating assembly.
    5) The heater arrays should be partially exposed now and you can blow any remaining dust out of them.
    6) When you're satisfied, reverse the steps and, ideally, your unit should function without error. (Don't forget to use the photos you took).

    ReplyDelete
  11. This all was very helpful, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm disabled so cannot do anything about it.
    Will just junk the darn unit and never buy a Dyson ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was so excited to find my T9, get the screw out.. but now cannot twist the part off. Ugh. I'd like even a few more months of use out of this damn thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. had the H2 error. Tried the different plugs etc. Even took it to a Dyson center. They were no help. Finally went on you tube, opened it up. The fan was covered in dust, hair, etc. vacuumed the fan using the mini attachments for my Shark handheld. It's been running 2 days now, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The unit needs to be on a circuit alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the oddest thing but it worked for me too. How come it never needed to be before? Anyhow, I will follow up if it stops working. In the meantime, thanks for the confirmation of the solution (temp or permanent, we will see!.)

      Delete
    2. This comment needs to be at the top of the thread. My H2 error occurred when i moved the thing to another room. I knocked it over when doing so, so when the error popped up, I assumed the spill had maybe jarred something loose. Thankfully before disassembling it, I read to the bottom of the comments and saw this one. I plugged it back in at its previous location where it was on its own circuit, and it worked perfectly.

      Delete
  16. I called and asked about H2 error and they said it was an internal failure and because it was within 2 year warranty - they sent me their latest model free. I also took it apart and tried to blow out the dust - but there wasn't much to be honest and it still kept happening.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you!!!! I just used canned air around where the air comes out and it has been working for 10 minutes now. I should probably take it apart as well because I'm sure the inside is gross.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They told me at Dyson that it was my surge protector. I bought it for the air cooling the heat was a plus. Well the surge protector isn't the problem and they wanted to sell me a new version where you can change the hepa filter? I think they were reading this blog cause he told me before we hung up that I could get a discount on a new model after I asked how do I clean the filter? You can't you can try a soft brush and compressed air and that should clean it. I have barely used it I tried a soft brush and a blow dryer on cool there was some external dust. Now the cool works better but I think the heater is dead. Doesn't rev like a race car but doesn't do anything. Dyson really is going to lose customers. I loved this little expensive thing now I think I have been ripped off. I am disabled so no way can I take it apart. I will have some one buy compressed air and see if that works and never spend 600 dollars on another Dyson product again. I found out the 900 dollar vacuum.I bought my daughter fell apart. Hugh price doesn't mean better quality. I guess they haven't heard that word of mouth is the best form of advertising. There was no instructions in the box. I am mad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have taken it apart, cleaned it extensively and after 1 min. of heat H2 may just pull it apart now. If that doesn't work I will just ship back to dyson.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Replacing your HDD with a SSD in a Mid-2009 Mac

What you'll need: T6 screwdriver PH000 philips screwdriver SATA to USB connector ( or SATA to Thunderbolt if you feel like spending the cash) Apples DiskUtility Application 2.5 inch SATA SSD (e.g. Samsung 850 EVO), size is up to you Before we swap the drives out we want to test our speeds so that we can compare with what we get afterwards. You can run the below commands a few times, then take an average if you want a better representation. Write Speed (16GB file, lower the values of the bs and count params for a smaller file) 52.872 MB/sec write speed Read Speed 50.6726 MB/sec read speed Also, in the Disk tab of the ActivityMonitor you can see a real-time measurement of reads/writes per second, which where an approximate match to the values I got above. Hook up the new drive The next thing to do is clone the current disk over to the SDD. I used a SATA to USB connector I found online to connect it to the Mac and I used the DiskUtility app to clone the disk. Onc

ColdFusion to Node.js Conversion : Setup Part 1

This multi-part post will be community comment driven, which basically means that in an effort to not spend too much time on details that might not matter to the viewers out there, I am only going to share the details which I think are important at the time of publishing the posts. If people (or bots) comment and want more details, I will add them to the original post. As always, constructive criticism is always welcome. Since I am currently using the CFWheels framework (which is inspired by Ruby on Rails or RoR), I chose to try out the Sails.js framework for Node.js (which is also similar to Rails). 1st thing I did was get Node and Apache working together by adding this to my Apache vhost(VirtualHost) block: ProxyRequests on ProxyPass / http://localhost:8124/ And adding this to my hosts file (/etc/hosts): 127.0.0.1 mynewapp.node www.mynewapp.node This allows me to setup an alias in my host file and reference the URL as you normally would without adding the portnumber o